Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Unexpected Family & Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes

While perhaps lately I have done way too much complaining about life, I have much to be thankful.  I had been tempted to spend the Thanksgiving holiday with my cat, dog, Netflix, and McDonalds, since going to see my family on the other coast wasn't an option. Although I wasn't shy about my hesitancies, my dear friend, Ms. Mejor Amiga, has insisted that I spend it with her, her boyfriend, and her family.  While I'm nervous in new family social situations, feel like the odd one out, and don't want to be the pitiful familyless girl, I'm also filled with a tremendous amount of gratitude that I have a friend who cares so much. No inflatable turkeys for me this year!


Because you should always show appreciation for hospitality by bringing something to the host's house, I picked up a bottle of Chateau St Michelle Riesling.  It's a delicious inexpensive wine that unfortunately I learned about from Mr. Bromance, but am not ready to give up just because it reminds me of his stupid ass. (speaking of asses, he had a really nice one...grrr) 

I'm also making Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes. They are the first cake anything I've ever made from scratch so I sure hope they come out good!!! I got invited out for some downtown Seattle pre-Thanksgiving shenanigans, but I didn't know anyone but the co-worker who invited me, so I escaped the social awkwardness by method of baking.  Cooking of any kind is not exactly on my hobby or talent list, so I'm hoping for the best. 

Here is the recipe I followed, thanks to The Baker Chick:

Notes about the Recipe:
If you have silicone baking cups this is the time to use them. If not, evenly spray the inside of your cupcake liners with cooking spray. This will make the cupcakes come out nice and easily. If you don't do this you may end up scraping the delicious filling out of the liner with a spoon.

Don't be alarmed that these babies sink a bit after coming out of the oven. A dollop of fresh whipped cream fits perfectly into the sunken center!


Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes
Print this Recipe
2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 15-oz can pumpkin puree
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup half and half 

Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper or silicone liners. *If using paper liners, evenly coat them with cooking spray. 

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice.

In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla and half and half until well combined. 

Add in dry ingredients and whisk until no streaks of flour remain and batter is smooth.

Distribute batter evenly in the muffin tin. (they should be about 3/4 of the way full.)

Bake for 20 minutes. Cool cupcakes in pan. (They will sink as they are cooling.)

Chill cupcakes before serving. Top with lightly sweetened whipped cream.

Makes 12

http://www.the-baker-chick.com/2011/10/pumpkin-pie-cupcakes.html

Like my usual self, I failed to read the instructions thoroughly and just mixed all the ingredients together instead of separating them like the recipes says, but nothing disastrous happened thankfully.  I also doubled my recipe to make 24, of which I will probably eat at least four of before I get to Ms. Mejor Amiga's parents house.  I even put my own twist on the icing and used Pillsbury Easy Frosting in cream cheese flavor (my fav!) and dusted some cinnamon on top. 


The test came upon eating one... and I'm happy to say that they are kind of AMAZING! The centers have the consistency of pie, yet they hold together like a cupcake - I will definitely be making these babies again!


Don't forget to tell someone how much you appreciate them this Thanksgiving holiday.  It's so easy to complain about the crappy people in our lives, or being single, our jobs, or the traffic.  When it comes down to it though, we don't have it all that bad.  So brighten someones day by expressing your appreciation, while filling your belly and laughing with loved ones, or in my case, unexpected family members.

No comments:

Post a Comment